ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replacing PSD layers en masse? / Adding groups of new layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardReplacing PSD layers en masse? / Adding groups of new layers?
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 8:45:15 pm

Let's say you've incremented a PSD that has also already been imported into a big AE project as a layered comp.

Is there a way to get AE to replace ALL the layers that were in the previous increment with the new, incremented PSD?

+++
In a related note, is it possible to import a PSD Folder as a layered comp? This would be a user convenience only, as they would be represented in the Project window in the usual way.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Replacing PSD layers en masse? / Adding groups of new layers?
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 11:08:20 pm

i don't think so (at least I've never found a way).

what i've done before is to import the new/altered psd file (as a comp), open that new comp, select he layers that were added and then copy/paste them into the previous psd comp. then delete the recently imported comp. then do a file>dependencies>remove unused footage to clear out the duplicate psd layers and move the newly imported layers into the folder with the other psd layers.

obviously, the more complicated the psd file, the less appealing that process is...

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Replacing PSD layers en masse? / Adding groups of new layers?
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 4:25:29 pm

[Eric Chard] "Is there a way to get AE to replace ALL the layers that were in the previous increment with the new, incremented PSD"

I'm not following you there. Why isn't AE changing the layers as you save the PSD? That's the way it is designed to work?

If you want to replace a PSD file right click it in the Project pane and choose Replace Footage file. It will get tricky from there based on how meticulous you are with naming your layers. Be sure that your iterations of your PSD file have the exact same layer names as the next version and so on. Even if you decide to not use layers, then simply turn them off, or make them empty, but keep them in the exact same order with the exact same names.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]