ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Recreating Isolated Light Pulse Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie InglisRecreating Isolated Light Pulse Effect
by on May 23, 2015 at 5:49:36 pm

Hi guys,

Trying to recreate this effect from the "ASAP - LSD" video. It can be seen all the way through the video, and it is these isolated light pulse things. As the light increases in strength it also seems to bend around people. Any tips on how to achieve this would be really appreciated.

The effect happens all the way through the video, but also around 30 seconds in.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Recreating Isolated Light Pulse Effect
by on May 25, 2015 at 5:26:03 pm

The lights, brights are all brighter than the subject, especially in your screen grab. You can directly apply a glow effect to your layer(I'd use an adjustment layer and just fade it up and down), and just play with the Radius of the glow and the intensity. If you threshold is at a high enough value, the bright areas will move over the darker areas.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Recreating Isolated Light Pulse Effect
by on May 26, 2015 at 9:26:20 pm

Yes and also...

There's a cool trick. Bring the audio channel into After Effects, putting it on its own layer. Right click the audio and choose "Keyframe Assistant > Convert Audio to Keyframes. This will create a new layer called Audio Amplitude. Twirl down the layer and you get keyframe information for the audio channel.Twirl those down too.

On the video layer choose an effect, like glow (already mentioned), and then choose glow (more on this in a second).

Now, we are going to pick whip the Glow Intensity to the amplitude data. It's super easy. On the glow intensity parameter hold the Option key and click the keyframe icon to open the Expressions window. It'll read effect("Glow")(4). Ignore that. With your mouse select the swirling twirly thing called the Expression pick whip click it and drag to the slider control on the audio amplitude. This is all done in the Composition window fyi not the effect window. Click anywhere. You have new expression: thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Left Channel")("Slider"). To really make this kick ass, spend some time fine tuning the audio in Audition or something like that, EQing to the levels you want to pump, and then do the same thing above. You can do pretty cool stuff doing different things to different audio frequencies.

Regarding the glow effect itself. The glow effect is a 32 bit per channel (bpc) effect. So if you change your comp setting to 32 bpc float, so the bleed from super white starts to create the effect you see in that video. If you stay in 8-bit, anything above super white stays white. To change to 32 bpc, in the project pane click the 8 bpc in the bottom of the tray next to the trash icon. Then in the Project Settings menu change the Depth setting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved