ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to know name of part of template to change it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lou HeathNeed to know name of part of template to change it
by on May 22, 2015 at 7:09:56 pm

Its my first time posting, I buy templates and add images and change the text, I often find that the area allowed to insert a logo is too small and when I enlarge the logo beyond a certain point (outside the black box) part of the logo does not show on the final comp, I would like to alter the size of the black box, and I would like to know what the black box is called so I can learn more about it.

If allowed I will try and attach an image to show what I am referring to.

The number in the box is just the template person providing an easy way to identify which number scene the comp is for (I think)but its not relevant anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lou

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need to know name of part of template to change it
by on May 22, 2015 at 8:11:04 pm

You've got a somewhat-long road ahead of you.

That "black box" is the Comp Window. The black is the size of the image you're making, measured horizontally & vertically by pixels.

To remove the numeral in that screen shot, highlight the layer "1" in the timeline, and hit the delete key.

A word of advice: this is really, Really, REALLY basic stuff. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the way AE actually works:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

You see, template makers assume the user already know how to use AE. If you don't know, a template isn't going to do you much good.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lou HeathRe: Need to know name of part of template to change it
by on May 22, 2015 at 8:24:08 pm

Hi Dave,

I wish I was just wanting to add the image and remove the numbers, I know how to do that. I have done that with over 150 templates (I sell videos for a living), I even make a few modifications now and then and add templates together and create new comps, but I so want to change the size of the 'comp window' thanks I did not know it was that as I always use templates and dont want to make templates myself, how can I change that size as what I want to add is wider and I dont want to make it any smaller.

A project I am about to do for a client is for a book he supplies (paperback) to tourism places and the size of his book is not the size of the 'comp window' and I need the comp window (black box) to be wider than it is for the book front cover image (I also am good at Photoshop) but dont want to make the book a different shape as the template is to go out to possible investors and needs to reflect the shape of the book (hope that makes sense).

I will see if I can find some info on how to alter the size of the comp window, thanks for telling me the name.

Thanks

Lou

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Need to know name of part of template to change it
by on May 22, 2015 at 8:55:57 pm

To alter the size of the comp window, just right-click on it in the Project window and go to Composition Settings. Change to your desired size from there.

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2015 at 11:20:53 pm

Hi Daniel, You are my savior, been trying to discover that for ages, just could not work it out, how simple! lol

I even hired someone that said he was an AE expert and he could not work it out, the good news is that he will now be hired as a trainee instead and it will save me money.

Thanks again, oh gosh this is great.

Lou

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2015 at 11:41:44 pm

I am just wondering if you might help with one more thing, I can now make the front cover fit as I changed the width with the setting you gave, then the next few comps are the book open showing two pages, I altered one page width (2 different comps) but now there is a gap between the pages (I did not yet alter the width of the comp so you could see how they no longer touch each other to look like a book), I added an image below. How can I move the position of the comp so the pages are back together.

Thanks again

Lou

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Need to know name of part of template to change it
by on May 26, 2015 at 9:06:59 pm

You're kind of going about it all wrong.

First create all your book pages, making sure they are all the exact same size pre comp. Then put all the precomps into a Master Comp. This can take a bit of time so that it looks pretty.

Then select all the layers, first turn them to 3D (it's a little box looking icon) and hit letter "a" to reveal the anchor point, or twirl down the transform twirly. Then move the anchor point to the very far left edge. This will also move your comp/layers, but that's okay because we will then move the Position parameter, back to the middle of the comp viewer.

Moving the anchor point is important because that will move the "hinge" for the Y rotation parameter. From here, you can key frame the Y rotation to make things appear to turn.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2015 at 3:22:39 am

Thanks Richard, Your help is appreciated.

I did not create the template myself I am just using premade one that myself or the client purchased, but I will try and follow the instructions and see if I can change the existing template.

Thanks again

Lorraine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]