ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Forbidden Planet landing "lights"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike KelleyForbidden Planet landing "lights"
by on May 21, 2015 at 10:39:24 pm

I feel like I'm missing something *very* simple, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to even come close to the effect of the landing "lights" in Forbidden Planet, at this point:

I can make an effect that looks *very* close to this one, except then I can't make the lower end reduce (so taking a cone and adjusting the end cone position). So it's not a matter of the light itself, just the animation that takes one "end" of the cone and still keeps the top end the same width. This FX, so very simple in any 3D program, seems impossible in AE, even with all the plugins I own.

I'm even willing to buy something if anyone has any ideas on how I can achieve this -- TIA for any help.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Forbidden Planet landing "lights"
by on May 22, 2015 at 4:41:23 pm

have you tried any of the distort effects, like bezier warp?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mike KelleyRe: Forbidden Planet landing "lights"
by on May 22, 2015 at 5:17:25 pm

Yeah, Bezier *could* do what I need but WAY too many points to deal with. Perhaps if I were more adept at linking things (like linking one corner to another) or expressions I could make it work.

I ended up getting close with just a plain Corner Pin -- still not ideal, but at least in the ballpark. It would still be nice if when I moved one corner the other moved in the same amount (but opposite direction) and I'm pretty sure this is a dead solid simple expression, but I have zero experience in such things with AE (first time with the Suite -- trying it at the reduced price). Long time programmer, but real novice when it comes to AE.

But thanks for replying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved