ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding a mask to a corner pinned layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike KelleyAdding a mask to a corner pinned layer
by on May 9, 2015 at 3:37:32 pm

Folks, I KNOW I'm doing something stupid (or not doing something basic I should be doing) but after thrashing around for a couple of days I don't know where else to turn.

I'm trying to follow this tutorial:

and the basic premise is to track something in Mocha and copy the data to your layer so it becomes corner pinned. That works just fine, except that then the effect disappears. IOW, I set up a noise layer effect on a solid layer, I copy the mocha data into it (so it creates the CC Corner Pin) and the layer is sized and tracks perfectly, until I go to put a mask on it, at which point the layer disappears (at least the effect does). OR, if I put the mask on first (as in the tutorial) and then copy the data the layer can be seen tracking but you don't see any effect.

I've tried it with pre-comps, and correctly checked the "copy attributes" box but still no luck. I just want to be able to mask the corner pinned effect (so I can have a soft edge on it) exactly the same as the tutorial. Just what in heck am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Mike KelleyRe: Adding a mask to a corner pinned layer
by on May 9, 2015 at 9:19:52 pm

Ah, I figured it out -- only to come up with another question.

So I wasn't doing "Align Surface" in Mocha, which does some kind of magic I don't get to make it all right. Well and good. But...

This works great now for FX, but if I just want to pin a layer using this approach it *won't* work -- you need to make sure you *don't* "Align Surface". Which begs the question: how do you "unalign" a surface in Mocha? In case you've selected that option but now don't want it? I don't see any way short of a single undo right at that very moment of undoing that operation.

Yeah, I should probably be asking this in a Mocha forum, but I did want to at least answer this issue in case anyone else is running into it.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Adding a mask to a corner pinned layer
by on May 11, 2015 at 5:16:38 pm

[Mike Kelley] "how do you "unalign" a surface in Mocha?"

Make a new layer in Mocha. Track it again. Do not hit align.

Return to posts index

Mike KelleyRe: Adding a mask to a corner pinned layer
by on May 21, 2015 at 10:35:43 pm

Right, I finally saw that in a tutorial on Mocha. Thanks for the heads up (for idiots like me there really needs to be an "unalign", though )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]