ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using 'Offset' effect for 'Crawler'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Burton
Using 'Offset' effect for 'Crawler'
on May 5, 2015 at 1:11:52 pm

Hi chaps ... I am being really stupid ... I am trying to create a foot of frame 'crawler' using offset and can't get it to run fast enough ... I just can't work it out, I have a precomp of the layer I want to crawl and when I apply the effect and set a k/frame at to beginning and add a k/frame at the end of the comp (8 minutes) and I 'shift centre' in the negative it gets really messy (messy being a technical term) - can anyone point me in the direction of an explanation of the 'Offset' effect please ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Using 'Offset' effect for 'Crawler'
on May 5, 2015 at 3:20:20 pm

If we only knew what the definition of the term "crawler" is, we could probably be a lot more help.

Right now it could be anything between an insect and text that repeatedly moves from right to left across the bottom of a TV screen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roger Burton
on May 6, 2015 at 5:31:12 am

Thanks Dave, pithy as ever ... yes it's a bottom third text that scrolls from right to left, I think you might call it a 'ticker' over that side of the pond. I think I've sorted it a little now but on an 8 min project it seems the max, speed is -1,380 ... I'll keep digging.

Roger

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 6, 2015 at 6:34:24 pm

The Offset Effect will work nicely for a repeating right-left crawl (what we TV Guys call 'em in The States).

Here's what I'd do: put the line of text in its own comp. Tweak horizontal dimensions so you have a tasteful amount of space near the edges. Tweak the vertical dimensions so it's a little more than the text to make it handy to see the layer's outline in the main comp.

Then animate the horizontal offset to taste. You can use a loop out expression to keep it looping, copy-paste keyframes to do the same thing, what have you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]