ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shifting contents of a layer that has an animated mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dre Mark
Shifting contents of a layer that has an animated mask
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:22:55 pm

So I have all these cool animated masks I created on top of placeholder footage. Now I have the actual footage to add in, but when I swap it out with the placeholder footage, I realize I need to shift it under the mask.

Of course, when I try to do this, with the "v" tool or even the anchor point tool, the whole mask moves.

For example: animated circle mask on top of footage of a person talking. Circle grows from little to big, back to little. Footage of person talking is offset and you only see their elbow, not their face. How to I just adjust the placement of the footage under the animated mask?

*(I don't want to animate the footage layer, I just want to move it's position)*

Any insight would be great :)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Shifting contents of a layer that has an animated mask
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:43:34 pm

Keep your animated mask layer, and add the new layer underneath. Now change the track matte(press F4 if they aren't showing) of the new layer to "alpha matte". Now you can move the bottom layer while leaving the masks undisturbed.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dre Mark
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:37:16 pm

This is great, thanks! Am having a snag, tho.

layer 1: BLANK shape layer with animated mask path
(set to "add", not inverted, and yes, it has "fill" and "stroke" applied but they don't appear, yes opacity is 100%)

layer 2: The movie file, set to alpha matte (yes, opacity is 100%)

In this instance, nothing appears. I also tried putting the mask path on a solid and it works except I can't get rid of the solid's color.

If I can get your trick to work, then I won't have to recreate every single path as a newly-drawn & key-framed shape layer/matte.

Thanks for helping out a self-taught newbie!

Return to posts index

Dre Mark
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:41:58 pm

Never mind!
Realized I needed to turned the eyeball off on the solid layer. It's the little things.

THANK YOU!!!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 29, 2015 at 8:37:45 pm

You might want to check out Getting Started with AE, I would suggest starting with the free short crash course by Andrew Kramer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]