ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Beginner: scaling in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ida TuressonBeginner: scaling in after effects
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 2:39:08 pm

I have encountered a problem with the scaling of the videos i insert. when i scale them they dont maintain the size throughout the clip. they shrink or grow back. what am i doing wrong? what button am i NOT pressing haha.

Return to posts index

Ida TuressonRe: Beginner: scaling in after effects
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 2:43:19 pm

i noticed it creates keyframes alot and when i remove all but one under the scale properties the size stays the same. but there must be an easier way to maintain the size??

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Beginner: scaling in after effects
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:43:46 pm

What are you trying to do, exactly?

If you hit "S" it will open the scale twirly. If you hit OPT-S, it will set a scale keyframe wherever the playhead is. If you set a keyframe, either by OPT-S or by mouse-clicking the keyframe icon, then move the play head and adjust the scale, AE will automatically assume you want to set a new keyframe to the value you've adjusted to.

There are other features-not-bugs that can happen. Right click a keyframe and chose interpret... and you will find more options. You more-than-likely will want to choose "linear interpolation" for you keyframes, at this point.

What I think you're doing by accident: You are setting a keyframe at let's just say frame1 and then you watch your video and it isn't quite right at frame20 (or whatever) and so you adjust your scale setting. AE will then render the values between frame1 and frame20. To solve that, you'll need to duplicate frame1 to frame19, so that frame20 will be less noticeable. Please note when you copy/paste keyframes, then often the interpolation setting changes, and so you need to select all the keyframes and right-click and change the interpolation to linear.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Beginner: scaling in after effects
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:02:44 pm

You might accidentally have Auto Keyframing turned on.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved