ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Simulating Flicker Effect- Practically achieved using high frame rates and fluorescent lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie InglisSimulating Flicker Effect- Practically achieved using high frame rates and fluorescent lights
by on Apr 10, 2015 at 5:07:19 pm

Trying to simulate the effect of filming in slow motion and using fluorescent lights. Flickering quality can be seen all way through this music video:

but especially at 1minute 56seconds . Notice how some colours flickers more, and the flickers look really organic. I assume there would be need to isolate channels. Any advice on how to make the effect look really acute and professional would be greatly appreciated! The more detail/ complicated the effect the better.

Thanks very much for the help,

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Simulating Flicker Effect- Practically achieved using high frame rates and fluorescent lights
by on Apr 13, 2015 at 2:43:35 pm

Looks like you could do that with a levels or curve effect. Also, might be able to duplicate the layer and use one of the the transfer modes(screen/add) and and adjust the opacity to get it to flicker.

I would probably create some kind of expression to generate the flicker. Possibly driven by the music.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Peter DiefenthalerRe: Simulating Flicker Effect- Practically achieved using high frame rates and fluorescent lights
by on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:46:58 am

I'm not sure about the separated colors, but this will get you the flickering part.
Make an adjustment layer with the Exposure effect and apply this expression to the layers opacity:

flickerSpeed = 4;
t = (Math.cos(flickerSpeed*time*Math.PI*2)+1)*0.5;
linear(t,0,1,0,100);

Peter Diefenthaler
http://www.ideafirecreative.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]