ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slow Bleeding Organic Image Corruption Effect - How to Achieve

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie InglisSlow Bleeding Organic Image Corruption Effect - How to Achieve
by on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:57:21 pm

Trying to recreate this organic looking image corruption from the "Ben Khan - Youth" Music video. The effect can be seen at 3minutes 17 seconds in this video:

here is an image showing the effect:

The white corruption has a very slow organic bleed look to it. It isn't just a white solid with a changing mask for example, it is very organic. It also appears to bleed from different parts of the video (according to colour or lightness I presume).

Any help on how to achieve this effect would be greatly appreciated. As an aside, is there a way to make a background similar to the background behind the white organic corruption? Is there a preset in after effects for example.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Slow Bleeding Organic Image Corruption Effect - How to Achieve
by on Apr 10, 2015 at 8:20:54 pm

Here is how I would do the organic destruction effect. Duplicate your footage, on the top layer add these effects in this order: Curves, CC Threshold, Gaussian Blur, Glow.

Use curves to adjust your contrast, key frame threshold for an organic add on and off of the white, use Gaussian blur to smooth the details as you like, and add glow for well...glow. Lastly, change your blending mode to lighten. That will strip out the black and leave the white on your footage.

To then get the look of the top image do the following: duplicate your footage again, change blending mode to multiply, then add a CC curves and a tint. Crush the shadows and raise the highlights. Then apply an adjustment layer, add a brightness and contrast and noise and grain effect. Turn down the contrast, and up the grain. For the outline around him, just poorly key out your person from a greenscreen and there you go. For the background try a Bezier warp effect and keyframe some of the parameters.

Let me know how that works for you.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved