ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How should I go about grading my film in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jae YimHow should I go about grading my film in AE?
by on Mar 29, 2015 at 4:45:31 pm

So I finished editing my short film (in premiere) and want to throw it into AE to color grade. And please do not suggest just grading in premiere, there's an AE specific plugin I want to use.

So how do I go about this? I'm very new to AE, and there seems to only allow a 30 second area and more importantly, how will all the stacked clips work? I don't want to just blanket copy and paste the grade onto the film because there are some lighting differences from clip to clip so I want to make adjustments to each clip as deemed necessary.

Is this possible to somehow carry over the Premiere Pro project file to AE? Or do I have to individually color grade EACH and EVERY clip and then begin re-editing? Similarly, how would this work if I was applying fx to an edited film? All these "tutorials" only show a dude editing a random clip or one at a time or physically stacking them, none have mentioned what to do if you have a video that's already finished editing and ready to grade.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: How should I go about grading my film in AE?
by on Mar 29, 2015 at 5:48:47 pm

Import your Premiere project to AE. Mind that grading in AE is kludgy and slow when it comes to grading and I'd recommend trying a proper grading tool. If you have CC you have Speedgrade and you can very easily send your project there. Also Davinci Resolve Lite is free.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: How should I go about grading my film in AE?
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 7:52:30 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "AE is kludgy and slow when it comes to grading"

I second this!

Export the final video out of premiere, and import it into AE. Use Adjustment layers timed exactly to the clips you want to effect.

But really it's worth learning speed grade. It's very easy and extremely powerful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]