ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

About transtion between images through black and white movie

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John CrowtherAbout transtion between images through black and white movie
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:26:48 pm

Hi.

First of all sorry if this is an easy question or has already been answered in multiple places. I've been trying to solve it on my own and doing some googling without any luck.

I have 2 color images and a black & white (indeed it is 'black' and 'white') clip with growing white shapes moving over a black background. The beginning of the clip is all black, then small white shapes appear on stage and move around while they grow until they grow so big they fill with white the whole clip.

What I want is to make a transition between both (static) images where the first one can be seen over the black of the clip (full in the beginning) then the moving white shapes appear filled with second image until it fills the screen (over the first one).

No white or black should be seen. Instead the parts of the 1st image in coincidence with black color and the ones of the 2nd one in coincidence with white.

In Photoshop I'd do it masking the 1st image and showing the second one (below) through the masked areas (that make invisible the 1st image).

Hope it is clear enough. Otherwise, please ask.

Thank you in advance,
JC

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: About transtion between images through black and white movie
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 8:13:21 pm

It should be as simple as luma keying your black and white clip twice and using it as a track matte for both image layers. Here's how to do it:

Drop your black and white clip in the timeline. Use the Luma Key or Extract effect on your black and white clip to remove the black background. It should now be growing white spots on a transparent background. Drop your image underneath this keyed clip and set its track matte property to Alpha Matte (hit F4 on your keyboard to see the track matte options).

To repeat this with your second image, simply duplicate your black and white clip and either invert it or switch the key from dark to bright. Drop your second image underneath it and again set it to Alpha Matte.

Return to posts index

John CrowtherRe: About transtion between images through black and white movie
by on Mar 18, 2015 at 8:02:09 am

Hi Daniel.

Big thanks. It worked like a charm. Only that I actually just needed 3 layers: the (Luma keyed) clip, the (Alpha matted) 1st image and the (plain) 2nd image, in that very order from top to bottom.

When the clip makes 'disappear' the first image, the second image naturally appears beneath. :-)

So, even simpler... but not for a newbie like me. Hopefully I'll get to know better soon.

Have a nice day,
JC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]