ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to make a grid of objects/layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Piotr RaczkoHow to make a grid of objects/layers?
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 2:30:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a simple animated stick figure in AE. In the end of the animation I want the figure to be multiplicated in both X and Y both positive and negative values say 20-30 each direction, while scaling down the whole thing, so I'll get a grid of identical figures covering the whole view. It's similar functionality as Cinema 4D's MoGraph Cloner. I Googled and found Trapcode Echospace, tried it and it won't work in this case, it's a bit too limited. Any other suggestions? Maybe an expression solution?

Note: I need the stick figure to be in the middle of the comp, and multiplicate in all four directions on X and Y.

Thanks a lot for help, advice!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to make a grid of objects/layers?
by on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:04:04 pm

Before you begin, think in detail how you want this animation to look.

Do these stick figures pop on at random?
Do they fade on?
Do they appear from behind each other?
Are they revealed in columns & rows?

Different looks.... different techniques in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Piotr RaczkoRe: How to make a grid of objects/layers?
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 9:21:15 am

Hi, I know what look I'm after. I will explain. I have a dancing stick figure. After a couple of beats a second figure joins from the left and dances synchronously, after a couple of beats a third figure joins from the right and dances synchronously, after a couple of beats, all three are scaled down and it seems there are more figures beyond the frame, which join the first 3 seamlessly. All of them behave synchronously and are scaled down until they are pretty small. All the figures are aligned in rows and columns. So I only have a problem with the last part, where the figures are multiplicated and come from beyond the frame limits. It would be great if it's achievable within AE CS 6 as I can't afford any more plugins at the moment. Thanks a lot for help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved