ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Foreground and Background Passes from DaVinci for greenscreen project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Gorski
Foreground and Background Passes from DaVinci for greenscreen project
on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:40:27 pm

Hi-

New to this forum and have been diligently learning After Effects via Lynda tutorials, which leads me to my question.

I have a greenscreen project coming up in which I will be getting a 2 passes of the footage from DaVinci. So far I have only done keying and greenscreen work with one pass, the top layer in AE is the footage with the greenscreen keyed and the bottom layer in the footage to be comped in-- simple!

In this scenario the colorist is giving me the foreground pass with the actor graded and a background pass with primary corrections only to help make a nice starting point for the greenscreen key. Now, how do I go about layering these 3 together?

I got this far: top layer is that background pass with the greenscreen keyed. Next down is the still that they want comped in

Now where and how do I get that foreground pass with just the graded actress to sit in here?

Thanks for any insight!
Emily

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Foreground and Background Passes from DaVinci for greenscreen project
on Mar 3, 2015 at 2:25:25 pm

Hi Emily. I'm a bit confused by "background pass with primary corrections". Do you mean that is a pass where the green screen has been cleaned up/averaged out? If yes, what you do is this. Background plate, is bottom layer. Foreground plate is middle layer.

Top layer is the "background pass with primary corrections", and key this layer, and get the best key possible. Don't worry about blowing out the actor with color adjustments. Sometimes you may even want to precomp the key layer, create multiple instances of it, if it's a troublesome key. This layer(or precomp) will just be a matte for your color graded layer.

When you have pulled the best key possible, take your middle layer and change it's track matte to "alpha matte". If the track mattes aren't visible you can toggle them by pressing F4.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Emily Gorski
Re: Foreground and Background Passes from DaVinci for greenscreen project
on Mar 6, 2015 at 11:50:50 pm

Yes,exactly what I meant by the background pass.. and this worked- like a charm! thank you, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]