ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing scale of an object during a dolly move?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin BullChanging scale of an object during a dolly move?
by on Feb 6, 2015 at 5:25:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to all of this and appreciate any pointers towards the right resources to learn what I assume is a fairly straightforward task:

I'm trying to create a hologram that "floats" in front of a character. That part is easy enough.

However, as the camera tracks in on the character I want the hologram to change accordingly in size, just as an actual object would as you track past it with a dolly. In other words, the hologram should be a fixed distance from the character throughout the dolly move and, therefore, increase in size at the same approximate rate of the character's size shift.

I've gotten as far as performing a 3D camera track, then creating a null object linked to a point, then linking my hologram layer to that null object.

That looks good for the slight tilt that occurs in the dolly move, but I'm totally lost as to how to now deal with the scale adjustments.

Any pointers would be much appreciated! Feel free to point me in a totally different approach if what I described above isn't the best procedures for this type of thing!

Much gratitude,

Return to posts index

Jeff KayRe: Changing scale of an object during a dolly move?
by on Feb 6, 2015 at 5:49:17 pm

If the objects are in 3D and the 3D pathing is correct then it shouldn't need to have its "scale" adjusted as the object will start to take up more space on the screen as it gets closer.

Its less clean and can be more difficult to work with later, but the most immediate solution should just be to keyframe the object scaling up as needed. I'm not sure how the 'hologram' object is created, but if its just a single layer then its just an easy adjustment of scaling. If its not a single layer, you should be able to subcomp all the layers that make up that object and then adjust scaling on the subcomp. Though as I said, it is the quick solution and if you need to make changes later then its going to be more work as you will have to adjust both the track and the scaling; I'd try to get path to work correctly personally.

Return to posts index

Justin BullRe: Changing scale of an object during a dolly move?
by on Feb 6, 2015 at 6:22:07 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I realized that it was an obvious rookie mistake. My hologram layer wasn't checked off as a "3D" layer. Regardless, your suggestions are very useful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved