ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Analyzing tracking points before applying to a Null

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther CasasAnalyzing tracking points before applying to a Null
by on Jan 22, 2015 at 11:00:57 pm

I am new tracking with after effects and I have a basic question that I could not really answer with the tutorials...

I am doing a basic track of rolling objects (sliding south to north on a table) that need text attached to it. The tracking is only for position. 3 questions:

1) When I analyze (analyze forward button) the tracking point I created, some of them take a really looong time to do so, others are faster, no idea why? is this normal? (i have a lot of RAM, 64!) is this a setting I am missing?

2) I thought I did not have to ANALYZE before applying to Null layer, but I can see that if I don't, the keyframes for movement are not created. Correct?? i can't skip this step?

3) This is a rolling footage, so objects roll from down and up and disappear from frame as they roll. Because of this, the tracking points work good for some sections but don't on the area of the object starts disappearing and lose the trackpoint.

Is the best way creating two tracking points for one object? if so, do I divide the footage to start a tracking point later? do I create two different text layers for the same text, also dividing them? I tried but the tracking does not work perfectly..

thank you!!

Return to posts index

Jon CollinsRe: Analyzing tracking points before applying to a Null
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:28:27 am

Hi Esther,

It sounds like you may be doing something wrong if it's taking a long time (more than 5 secs) per frame with that amount of RAM. It's possible that you've not set the tracking point reference area to the correct size. This is the area that the tracker analyses to see where you're reference has moved to in that particular frame.

You have to analyse all the footage you want to track before applying to a NULL.

On the frame before your tracking point disappears, you can reset the tracking point by holding down ALT and moving the the tracker. This will keep the tracking crosshairs in the same place whilst moving the tracker.

Jon Collins
Director // Editor // Motion Graphics/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved