ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pen Tool trouble - Removing inner shape of Logo

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart KetsPen Tool trouble - Removing inner shape of Logo
by on Jan 10, 2015 at 9:44:17 am

Hi everyone!

I am very new to Adobe After Effects and I am struggling with the process of tracing a logo with the pen tool.

I've traced all of the logo's so far yet would like the inner shapes within the text to be see-through and able to reveal the video behind.
The main reason I need to do this is because I am going to extrude it as a 3D Object and then motion track it with footage.

As you can see within the 'R' and 'P' there is a black fill, where I want that to be video.
I've attempted selecting the vertex points of the inner shape and selecting "No Fill", which hasn't worked for me.

Any help would be very valuable as it's a rather tight deadline and am a bit thrown in the deep end of After Effects!

Return to posts index

Stuart KetsRe: Pen Tool trouble - Removing inner shape of Logo
by on Jan 10, 2015 at 10:12:44 am

I have also tried masking the inner shapes and "Subtracting", this works in 2D yet doesn't when it is made to a 3D Object.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Pen Tool trouble - Removing inner shape of Logo
by on Jan 10, 2015 at 5:49:06 pm

Just me, but I would do the work in Adobe Illustrator, create an .ai file and bring that into AE for extrusion.

Also, if you are working with the 3D Render engine, I don't think it works with transfer modes, so that's probably where your problem lies.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]