ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Masking over element 3d text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Link BlackburnMasking over element 3d text
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 4:28:47 pm

Hi Creative cow peoples, I'm currently trying to cover (moving from visible to hidden)an element extruded text layer with a simple mask moving vertically, the problem I'm having is that the element text seems to be unaffected by the mask, I'm hoping this is a simple problem as I'm fairly new to element and I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

Thanks in advance, by the way this forum is a lifesaver!

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Masking over element 3d text
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 6:38:01 pm

use a solid instead of a mask and use the alpha channel of the solid to determine what you see of don't.

How to: The order of the layers should be (top down): 1)Shape Layer (or solid), Element 3d layer. Select the element 3d layer, press F4 to cycle from through your modes, then when track matte is available twirl down the menu and select either alpha or alpha inverted. That will pull the alpha information from the layer just above the Element 3d layer.

If you want to graduate the entrance or exit, just add a blur to Layer 1 and then precompose. You could also use a color gradient (black-white or vise versa using the gradient ramp effect on a solid that is 2-3x the size of the comp. This way you can leave the gradient the height of the comp but then keyframe the position from a full black to a full white (or vise versa) then use a Luma or Luma inverted matte selection instead (this takes the information from the light vs. dark properties of Layer 1).

If I remember correctly, you can also keyframe Element 3D's object opacity inside the plugin as well.

Hope that helps.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved