ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What effect is this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver AndrewsWhat effect is this?
by on Dec 29, 2014 at 10:24:11 am

Hi all,

Could someone please let me know what the effect is referred to as when a video flicks between different shots (sometimes different and sometimes just different angles).
What i am referring to is used a lot in this video:

I am trying to learn how to apply it and wanted to do some reading but feel like I must be searching for the wrong thing as can't find anything.

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: What effect is this?
by on Dec 29, 2014 at 12:55:24 pm

It's not an effect, it's just edits(one or 2 frames). I would do it in a non-linear editor, lay one track over the other, and just lift 1 frame, move forward one frame, lift another frame. Do that 15 times and it covers one second of video.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Oliver AndrewsRe: What effect is this?
by on Dec 29, 2014 at 12:58:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Johnny.
I thought this might have been the case but was hoping there would have been a better way.
Seem pretty inefficient.
I did try a trial of Boris BCC 8 which has a beat reactor. My plan was to use the beat reactor to control the opacity of the top layer the then show/hide the bottom layer. Haven't quite got it to work though so will go back to what you suggested.
Anyway, thank again.

Oliver

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: What effect is this?
by on Dec 29, 2014 at 1:02:43 pm

You might be able to write an expression in AE, with an if/then variable, that controls opacity if the audio levels get to a certain threshold. You might try searching the Expresions forum, you might find one that's already written. Or ask, sure someone will be happy to help.

Quick search for "audio opacity" returned this Change Opacity of image from 100 % to 50 % when bass hits. That could be adjusted to do what you want.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: What effect is this?
by on Dec 29, 2014 at 3:50:38 pm

If you use or have access to premiere pro it has an effect called strobe. It basically allows you to keyframe thus type of effect, so that you don't have to make all the cuts yourself.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]