ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding object to video clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Sims
Adding object to video clip
on Dec 6, 2014 at 1:23:32 pm

Hi Folks.

I'm trying to superimpose an object (jpeg format) onto a video clip, and am assuming it's something I'd do in After Effects. It's a clip of someone pretending to throw a ball into someone else's mouth. And I grabbed a jpeg of a ball, so that's all set. I'm just not sureI took video of a hand throwing the imaginary ball, and then walked toward the other person whose mouth is open to catch it. The video ends just inside his mouth.

Any suggestions on the best way to make this happen? And any extra suggestions on adding realism to the ball itself?

As always, thank you all for any advice you can offer, and please feel free to email me directly: rsimring@gmail.com

Bob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adding object to video clip
on Dec 9, 2014 at 12:17:06 am

As the computer on the original Star Trek used to say, "Insufficient Information".

There are all sorts of ways to visualize how a ball could be thrown from a person's hand into someone's mouth.

Does the camera follow behind the ball on its flight from hand to mouth?
Does the ball get thrown across the screen from left to right into the mouth? Is the camera supposed to follow that, too?

There are a boatload of AE techniques involved, and a more thorough description is needed of what you intend the viewer to see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob Sims
on Dec 9, 2014 at 3:17:50 am

Hi Dave, and thanks very much for responding to my post.

Actually, the project has now changed slightly. It's no longer a ball that's getting thrown into someone's mouth. Instead, it's two lines of text (with three words per line). So now I need to figure out how to create some text (preferably 3D), and have that fly through the air (perhaps spinning around somehow to add "realism") and land in the guy's mouth.

The way I shot the video, it's a straight-on shot of the catcher. And right in front of the lens is the right hand of someone throwing the imaginary object. As the throwing hand drops away, I slowly move toward the catcher until I ended the video right at the edge of his mouth.

My goal is to have the text appear on its own initially, and then have the video fade in, with the throwing hand perfectly framing the text. Then the hand throws the text, and it spins through the air, eventually landing in the catcher's mouth.

Please feel free to ask any more questions, and thanks again!

Bob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2014 at 12:17:58 am

You're talking about a LOT of different techniques!
  • Creating extruded text (varies with AE version)
  • Rotoscoping the hand aroud the text to throw it (a pain)
  • Matchmoving the text so it looks like the hand is throwing it (not fun)
  • Animating the text to follow the camera movement (probably a combination of motion tracking and hand animation)
  • Rotoscoping the mouth to contain the text (a pain again)

You'll also need to be VERY CAREFUL when shooting, too. You have to make sure that hand looks like it's grasping a solid object, and the mouth has to be open efar enough to accommodate a solid object... and the size of the solid object can't change.

Are you SURE you want to take this on as someone just starting in AE? I sure wouldn't!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob Sims
on Dec 10, 2014 at 12:49:18 am

Wow, that certainly is a lot of stuff to do!

Then again, think of the satisfaction I'd feel if I was actually able to pull it off :)

BTW, I'm using the CS5 version of AE.

And ultimately this doesn't have to look perfect. The folks I'm doing this for are aware that I'm relatively new to AE. But if I can get it to look halfway decent, it wouldn't hurt.

Would you say my next move is to find some tutorials on creating extruded text, rotoscoping, matchmoving, and animating?

Bob

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Dec 10, 2014 at 2:32:30 pm

I wouldn't even bother extruding the text to start. It can get complicated, so maybe wait to see if you have time at the end.

I would focus on animating text with keyframes and camera tracking. For rotoscoping, I would learn how to create masks with the pen tool. Good sites for tutorials are here at the COW, VideoCopilot, and Adobe TV. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Bob Sims
on Dec 10, 2014 at 2:36:26 pm

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the response, Daniel!

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]