ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What font is this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Adam
What font is this?
on Dec 1, 2014 at 3:01:52 pm

I already tried Whatthefont numerous times but nothing exact is coming up. Any idea?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: What font is this?
on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:04:10 pm

The problem with Whatdafont is the amount of extremely similiar fonts, if you don't know it's nearly impossible to find the exact one. If you don't need exactly that font, one that's VERY similiar is HelviticaNeue LT 97 Condensed.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Brandon Adam
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:31:46 am

Does this look like the font?

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontfont/ff-din/pro-black/glyphs.html

However, bit uncertain.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 2, 2014 at 12:10:31 pm

I think it is. I noticed that on the glyphs page you can enlarge each letter, then right-click and download them. You might want to download a "G" "M" "R" "B" "p" "g" "h" "t" & "n", resize them, drop out the white and place them over your text in your graphics to compare.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Brandon Adam
on Dec 2, 2014 at 12:20:58 pm

Great idea, thanks John.

Return to posts index

Brandon Adam
on Dec 2, 2014 at 12:54:05 pm

I tried your idea, and would like to get a second opinion.

What's leaving me uncertain about this font is two things are different, the number "7" and lower case "i" both have different looks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 2, 2014 at 3:06:07 pm

I see what you mean about the "7". The "i" looks right to me, but I question whether it will come in sized like the one in your graphic. One possibility is a second font was used for the numbers, probably not what you want to hear though.

To my eye though, you are right on with the letters. Do you need to get a 100% match(client likes it), or is this just a font you like and want to get? Either way, I think you have it---or have done enough work to move forward, IMO.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 2, 2014 at 6:58:45 pm

i agree with john, i think you found your font. it's possible that they used a variation of din, that modified/replaced a few characters to avoid copyright issues (i think the period/decimal is different too).

you can use a font creation tool like type tool to hack the font and either replace certain characters with characters from another font, or modify existing characters with a vector editing tool like illustrator and replace the original character. it's really not that hard to do, but the software isn't free (though you might be able to find a similar free tool).

if the 7 is the only issue, and you may be able to get clever with a track matte and an expression to have the trackmatte turn on when you type a '7' and off for any other character.

you can try this:
  • type '7.00' (without quotes) on a text layer and make it the size you need.
  • create a new, small solid and position it over the tab on the '7' (you can use a mask to refine the matte if needed).
  • set the text layer with the 7 to use the small solid as a trackmatte (alpha inverted) (you can adjust the matte layer position if needed).
  • then parent the matte to the text layer, so if you need to move the text layer the matte stays with it.
  • then add this expression to the opacity of the track matte layer:

txt = parent.text.sourceText;
num = txt.split('.');
if (num[0] == '7') 100 else 0

the expression looks at the characters before the decimal, so if you change the text to 8.00 the matte should turn off, if you change the text to 7.30 the matte will turn back on and hide the tab on the seven

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brandon Adam
on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:16:17 am

[John Cuevas] " Do you need to get a 100% match(client likes it), or is this just a font you like and want to get? "

Thanks John once again and thank you Kevin! The font is for a client (they can be very picky).

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 5, 2014 at 9:41:23 am

Have you tried submitting a still to http://www.whatfontis.com or https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ ?

I use them all the time and they are real time, on line font identifiers. It helps to upload a clear example for them to process, but likely you'll have your font and/or several choices in seconds.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

TRI EA5 1974-1977
Convergence ECS1B 1977-1979
Sony BVE 500 1979 - 1984
Datatron Vanguard 1984 - 1993
GVG VPE141 1993 - 1998
Media 100 1995 - 2006
Final Cut Pro 2005 2012
Adobe Creative Cloud

Return to posts index