ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

remove text from a video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Petersonremove text from a video
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 12:44:39 am

Ok here is the problem, I have purchased Disney videos for my kids many moons ago they are on VHS tape. I have transferred them to my PC so I can put them on DVD. Now I could just do that and be done but I want to make a menu like they do on the ones you purchase today. I found one posted menu for jungle book and used that with some modifications so it would work but not all Disney menus are posted or available. So using the example of the jungle book one where clips of the movie are used and sown them together I decide I would do the same in Aladdin. The problem is at the beginning in these old movies the credits and the intro text are in the front of the video. So to get a text free section I need to remove the text. That way I will have the section and music to match up with the additional sections in the movie to make the menu. I have tried the clone stamp tool and did it frame by frame which one text lasted 6 seconds but although it removed the text it look terrible when played. So I'm sure your thinking what I'm doing is illegal I will post at your request the proof of purchase bar codes on the VHS cases to show I have purchased each and every one. Any suggestion?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: remove text from a video
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 2:01:29 pm

Unfortunately, the only way to remove the text is some sort of cloning/painting.

It sounds like you are trying to make a motion menu? With some video clips/music from the movie that plays when you first start the DVD? I would just suggest using different shots that don't have text. Cause removing it from a VHS source would take forever.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: remove text from a video
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 3:53:52 pm

Um, when it comes to Disney, you have to be very, VERY careful.

You may have proof of purchase, but you've got it for a CASSETTE. Now you're now making a DVD. You're doing something entirely different than playing that cassette for entertainment purposes... which is the sole purpose why Disney sold that cassette to you.

Know that the Disney folks are VERY litigious when it comes to their intellectual property. Know that their arms are long. Know that by even writing about it, you leave yourself open to a possible copyright infringement suit.

No fooling -- these Disney cats don't mess around.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael PetersonRe: remove text from a video
by on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:36:07 am

That's good to know, I was under the impression you could make a backup copy as VHS doesn't last forever. I will dig into this further and see just what my right are, thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

Tyler WiethornRe: remove text from a video
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 4:44:51 am

It's entirely legal to do what he's attempting, so long as the DVD is for his own personal archival use, and so long as he keeps the original VHS. Should he throw or give the VHS away, he would also need to throw away the DVD copy. The fact that the medium of archive is different than the original source makes no difference under fair use. These rights are firmly established and supported by the courts and law.

However, what's more the problem is that it is almost certain the these Disney VHS tapes are copy protected with Macrovision. Even though it's fairly trivial to subvert Macrovision's analog copy protection scheme, the very act of doing so violates the DMCA and therefore opens one to legal liability, in theory both criminal and civil. If by some chance these VHS tapes are not protected by Macrovision, then he's totally in the clear.

In practice, so long as he isn't distributing anything and maintains possession of the original tapes, it's extremely unlikely he has anything to worry about, from the 'long arms' of Disney or anyone else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved