ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to make Roughen edges effect scale to remain constant in 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Haroun Al-ShaaterHow to make Roughen edges effect scale to remain constant in 3D
by on Nov 26, 2014 at 2:42:36 pm

Hi All,

First post, but this forum has saved my life a million times so thanks!

I'm using the Roughen edges effect to give my illustrations a kind of hand-drawn flick-book effect. I'm also moving in and out of the Z-axis with a camera, whilst I want my illustrated layer to be affected by this movement, I want the rough edges to remain the same size as I do so (ie not be affected by camera), is this possible? Does this question even make sense?

Alternatively, is there a similar effect I can apply to the entire composition at the end to give every edge the roughen edges feel?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to make Roughen edges effect scale to remain constant in 3D
by on Nov 27, 2014 at 2:17:24 pm

Moving the layer on z space doesn't really work with roughen edges. There's a couple of tricks you can do to get it to stick, but nothing that will allow you to move along z-space and maintain sharpness---unless you create incredibly large layer, apply roughen edges and then scale down only, never scale past 100%

Courtesy of Kevin Camp:

roughen edges doesn't really stick to the layer like many other effects. it has it's own offset value that kind of maintains a center point for the fractal texture that is distorting the layer...

you can use an expression to link the offset to the layer's position so that they move together (and apear static).

adding this expression to the offset property in the roughen edges effect would work for position:

transform.position*400/effect("Roughen Edges")("Scale")

if you adjust the layer's position the roughen edges should stick. it will not work with rotation or scale, though the layer's scale could probably get worked into the expression.

an easier way is to add the transform effect after the roughen edges effect, and use the transform effect's properties to do the animation. then it sticks no matter what.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved