ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copying multiple mask paths to animate a layers position

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yankee Teitelbaum
Copying multiple mask paths to animate a layers position
on Oct 29, 2014 at 5:03:04 pm

Hi,

In order to move a layer (layer2) on a path, I created a mask of an image on Layer1 and applied it's path to the position of layer2 to animate along that path.

My issue is, I can only do that if there is just ONE mask and path, but sometimes I have multiple mask/paths that I want to copy to the position of layer2 and aside for copying and pasting each one at a time (which can take forever) I don't see a way to do this. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Copying multiple mask paths to animate a layers position
on Oct 30, 2014 at 12:29:37 am

Yeah, you can paste in more than one mask into the position property. Just copy the mask, position the timeline cursor after the previous keyframes, and paste. You'll have to watch out for what happens between the two sets of keyframes and make changes accordingly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jacob Tamari
on Oct 30, 2014 at 2:57:47 pm

Thanks, I want to do it all at one time, sometimes i have 20 - 50 masks and I don't want to do that one at a time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 30, 2014 at 4:49:11 pm

Well, then you'd better hope that someone has written a script that will:

A) Count the number of masks on a selected reference layer
B) Copy the masks in order
C) Paste them into a selected layer's position property
D) Advance the timeline cursor 2-seconds + 1 frame once it's done pasting (AE defaults to a 2-second group of keyframes for this copy-paste feature)
E) Repeat the process for every mask
-- UNLESS --
F) If the comp duration isn't long enough to accommodate all the keyframes, it stops and returns an error report.

Now, this all assumes that you've laid down your masks in the order you want them to be pasted. If you want to specify a different order, this pie-in-the-sky script would need provisions for doing so. It ALSO assumes that the reference layer containing all the masks has the same horizontal & vertical dimensions PLUS the same pixel aspect ratio as the comp itself, otherwise all bets are off.

If you can find a script that does all that, good luck, pal.

Or you could figure out a different way of doing what you want. Since this if the first time I have EVER heard of an AE user who wants to do this, I'd go for that option, personally.......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]