ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Controlling stagger/overlap when animating text using an animator.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Malven
Controlling stagger/overlap when animating text using an animator.
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:20:08 pm

I'm animating the opacity & position-x of type onto screen, line-by-line, using a text animator. The only property I'm applying keyframes to is the Start for the Range Selector.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to make the animation for the lines of text "stagger": that is, I want the next line of text to start animating in before the previous line has finished it's animation. Right now, each line of text waits for the previously line to completely finish its animation.

This seems like it would be a pretty common thing to do with a text animator, but how? Appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Controlling stagger/overlap when animating text using an animator.
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:26:30 pm

You could add the position animator, change the shape to Ramp Up. Animate the "offset" to move your line in. You can adjust the Ease to change how quickly they enter.

Here's a quick little project demonstrating the technique: 8121_linestagger.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris Malven
Re: Controlling stagger/overlap when animating text using an animator.
on Oct 22, 2014 at 7:22:18 pm

Thanks for the idea. That's smart. Only problem is that if I want to control the stagger AND easing of the lines individually, I can't do that with this approach.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]