ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Holding Shift Results in Lopsided Shape?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel AhnHolding Shift Results in Lopsided Shape?
by on Oct 19, 2014 at 1:29:46 am

Hi guys, First time I'm having this problem.

When I'm trying to use the shape layer, and I hold shift the shapes become lopsided.

When I try to make a square using the shape tool and hold shift, the result is a rectangle where the height is long but the width is short.

Same for circle, and any other shapes when holding the shift button. Height is way bigger than the length.

I tried restarting after effects but same results

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Holding Shift Results in Lopsided Shape?
by on Oct 19, 2014 at 12:14:13 pm

Are you working in a composition with non-square pixels? Press "Cntl+K" and look at the Pixel Aspect Ratio, unless it's set to square(how pixels are displayed on a computer), shapes, objects can look squished and distorted. When broadcast - they will look normal.

Below the comp window is a toggle pixel aspect correction button, you can check that and AE will approximate how your video will look as a final. Things may look jagged & rough, but it's just cause it's stretching/squishing the image a bit, won't affect the final render. FYI-if you are working in HD or only for the web, you should always be working with square pixels.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved