ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Flickering Lamp-Post

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javed AliFlickering Lamp-Post
by on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:56:22 pm

I need to make several lamp-posts flicker. However, since the scenes are at night, the lamp-posts are powered on. Plus, the posts are completely in frame meaning you see the lamp up high, the post, then the ground and the light being cast onto it. That being said, how can I achieve a decent flickering effect under these circumstances?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Flickering Lamp-Post
by on Oct 19, 2014 at 12:27:39 pm

Can you post a still of your scene/video, so we have a better idea of what is needed to be done? You can post a still by clicking the 3rd to last icon in the reply dialogue, uploading it, then click the uploaded still and copy and paste the embed code into your reply.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Flickering Lamp-Post
by on Oct 28, 2014 at 5:05:52 pm

each part of the image will have to respond to the flicker differently, how far away the light source is, what objects are in the way, how brightly they reflect the light. You'd basically have to have the source image be read and correspondingly calculate animation or import cgi sets or just go for a rough animation look.

This 2-d method is much simpler.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved