ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

light won't work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Schaeferlight won't work
by on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:05:49 pm

I've searched here and on youtube and can find no solution although I found others having this problem. When I create a light in AE I get nothing. Everything is 3D, the material options are right, but there is nothing. Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: light won't work
by on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:42:13 pm

What do you mean by getting nothing? Black or the comp just stays the same? What kind of light are you using?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get a handle on what we're dealing with. Can you post a screenshot of your project?

Return to posts index

Kelly SchaeferRe: light won't work
by on Oct 10, 2014 at 9:07:19 pm

Here is the link for my screenshot. I'm pretty new to uploading so please forgive if it doesn't work right.

I have a photo as the background and several objects moving onto the screen. Everything is 3D. The objects have a slight extrude, 2 to 4, and I am trying to fly in with a Y axis rotation. I added a light to show the dimensions. A spot light. The materials of all the objects are correct, accept light, don't emit light, accept shadows. But the light does nothing. I've changed its properties, moved it around, nothing. This is not the first time I've tried the light and I got nothing every time. The others were just for experiment, this one is for real.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: light won't work
by on Oct 10, 2014 at 10:08:10 pm

it looks like you have the draft 3d button enabled... it's the little icon at the top of the timeline that looks like a little asterisk next to a 3d cube.

toggle that off by clicking it and see if the light shows up in the viewer.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: light won't work
by on Oct 10, 2014 at 10:46:05 pm

Agreed. That should solve the problem.

Return to posts index

Kelly SchaeferRe: light won't work
by on Oct 14, 2014 at 5:17:37 pm

Thanks guys; that was perfect!

Return to posts index