ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HD footage/zooming

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CampbellHD footage/zooming
by on Oct 3, 2014 at 11:26:16 pm

I have some HD footage of a hand-drawn animation on a large sheet of paper that was maybe 18"x24" (poster board, I suppose). The camera was placed far enough away to shoot the entire paper, plus there's some extra stuff beyond the borders of the paper that also was in frame (pencils on the desk, etc). The idea behind this shoot was to start wide, zoom in on each character of the drawing (using AE, not zooming the actual camera) as they were being drawn, and then slowly slide to the next one, and the next, and then zoom back out after the last one to reveal the entire canvas of characters. I hope I explained that well enough.

Anyway, when I zoom in on the first one, it gets blurred. Bear with me here, I thought shooting with the whole paper in frame was the correct method...but it doesn't seem to be. I was thinking that by shooting the entire thing with the camera static, I could zoom in AE and slide around. Since this didn't work like I thought it might, I tried dropping the HD footage into an SD comp, thinking that I could then shrink the wide shots at the start and finish, and not have to go beyond 100% scale with the close-ups. Unfortunately, the footage in the SD comp (even at 100%) still looks too soft.

Long post, sorry. I'd appreciate any tips, thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: HD footage/zooming
by on Oct 4, 2014 at 4:21:33 am

How, exactly, are you performing the scaling? Are you using the Detail-Preserving Upscale effect?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Paul CampbellRe: HD footage/zooming
by on Oct 4, 2014 at 1:57:16 pm

No, I'm simply keyframing the Scale and adjusting as needed. This "Detail Preserving" effect is elusive. I can find the "Scale" effect, but I'm not seeing it when I drag it onto my footage. I'm using AE CS4, I wonder if it's not available in this version. Anyway, thanks. I'll keep at it.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: HD footage/zooming
by on Oct 5, 2014 at 10:52:43 pm

Ah, if you are using such an old version, then you do not have any of the new features for precise scaling.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HD footage/zooming
by on Oct 6, 2014 at 6:30:14 pm

Re-shoot it. Since it's a static image, you don't need video. Shoot a still at high resolution. Problem solved.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]