ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create Precomp without changing size?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Taylor
Create Precomp without changing size?
on Sep 16, 2014 at 2:48:52 pm

Is there a way to create a precomp that will be only as large as the elements contained within, rather than the size of the entire default composition? I feel like I've done it before, but can't tell how now.

I know I can do into the precomp and trim it after the fact and then reposition, but I could have sworn there was a way to just do this automatically.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Create Precomp without changing size?
on Sep 16, 2014 at 4:09:49 pm

You might be thinking about importing Photoshop/Illustrator documents as comps, layer size.

Ain't no way to automatically change the size of a precomp in AE to the size of the layers. 99 times out of 100, it's a Very Bad Idea.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Sep 18, 2014 at 5:28:34 pm

I'm with Dave on this one. You can manually do it after the precomp is made by changing its composition settings, but I highly recommend you leave it the same. Why do you feel you need to change the precomp size?

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Brent Taylor
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:21:29 pm

Sometimes it's nice to have an animation with a few elements wrapped up together so I can then move it around, resize it, apply effects as a single object, etc. Making it a precomp works great.

The only problem is that then this new element has a box that takes up the entire size of the composition window rather than, say, a quarter of the screen as it did originally. This is sort of annoying while I try click around the screen on other things.

I can go into the precomp and change the composition size, but then the object doesn't remain in its original location. I can also just lock the new precomp, but that's kind of annoying. I can also parent them to a null, which works in some cases (movement, size, etc) but not so great for others (applying a uniform effect to them all).

I wish I could just have the option to maintain the original size and location of the objects being wrapped up together into a precomp. This seems logical. But maybe not?

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:28:27 pm

I know your pain and it can become cumbersome. It may just as well be a good time to start clicking the layer you want to edit before you try to move it on the screen. That will help after effects know which you are trying to manipulate.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Sep 18, 2014 at 9:13:22 pm

Maybe the Auto Crop script can help?

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Sep 26, 2014 at 8:11:12 pm

if you are able, try making the precomp using the "leave all attributes" option selected. Now that I think about it, that might do what you want. I hardly use that feature myself though.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]