ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Overlaying white on a precomp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane McCleeryOverlaying white on a precomp
by on Sep 5, 2014 at 7:16:44 pm

Hi all, I have googled and searched my heart out to no avail.

My question is, how to I take a precomp and fill its contents/overlay a solid white color to the precomp.

I have tried using curves and just bumping it up till it is white, but there are still shadows and I need everything to be white.

This has led me to numerous masking/track matte discussions which none have seemed to help.

I have to use this method because another program I am using (omnivex moxie) doesn't seem to like media, at least videos, with transparent background and has it's own way of masking video by having the video on one side, and a white version of the video on the opposite side, and then basically "folds" the video to mask itself.

The white curve leaves me with strange "echoes" and shadows that don't completely show through.

The video in question is basically the one in this video

So to recap, just need a solid white fill of a video (that has a transparent background) to use for a very unreasonable third party digital signage program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Overlaying white on a precomp
by on Sep 5, 2014 at 8:17:29 pm

you can create a white solid at the top of the comp, then click the 'T' option that is between the blending modes and the track matte menu in the modes panel of the timeline.

that 'T' option is the preserve underlying transparency option and it will clip that layer to the alpha of the underlying layers, thus producing a matte. if the background color of the comp is black, then you will get a b&w matte. make sure you don't render with alpha...

or, if you are using the render queue (vs export) you can choose to render the alpha as a matte without doing any of the above mentioned steps. just click the output module and set the channel to alpha and then render.

you can use this trick to render both the rgb and alpha as separate files for a single render. once you've set the alpha render as described, duplicate the output module and then set the channel to rgb, give it a new file name to output to and then click render. this way you only need to process the comp once to render both the rgb fill and matte file.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved