ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keylight in AE looks terrible only when in FCP 7 timeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BaumanKeylight in AE looks terrible only when in FCP 7 timeline
by on Sep 5, 2014 at 6:35:07 pm

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if it's just a major no-no not to go between After Effects and Final Cut Pro7. Every time I key raw footage in AE, I get a white artifact around my clip. My subject is usually wearing black, and he is well lit with a back-light and standing about 11 feet away from the green screen. The screen itself seems to be evenly lit by two large white soft boxes and has a nice distinctive green color.

I use AE to key because if you need to, you can use the "Screen Shrink/Grow" option to remove any traces of green around the subject, which is hard to do using Primate Filter without messing up the actual color of my subject. I just think AE has more options and is more sophisticated for keys.

But I prefer FCP7 to Premier Pro, so that's where I drop my key footage after I've exported it as a quicktime file. Unfortunately, once in FCP7, white or black outlines appear around parts of my subject that did not appear in either the "Final Result" or "Intermediate Result" viewers in AE. I've also noticed that when I take my AE keyed footage to Premier Pro as an experiment, it remains correctly true to how it looked in AE.

Can someone explain why these two programs don't mix well besides "Apple hates Adobe and Adobe hates Apple?" It's a shame because both softwares are missing some great elements that the other one has, and in the past I've gotten very used to working with both of them to create projects, but when it comes to chromakeying, no matter how many settings I change, my key never looks the way it does in AE once it's in FCP7. Help?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Keylight in AE looks terrible only when in FCP 7 timeline
by on Sep 5, 2014 at 9:45:44 pm

It sounds to me like you're interpreting the alpha channel incorrectly in FCP.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved