ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Weird Layer behavior

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel SchultzWeird Layer behavior
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:44:36 pm

Thank you in advance for this amazing resource!

I've got a illustrator file with layers and I'm animating the various layers in after effects.

There's a shopping cart, and a number of grocery items that are falling into it.
The items fall in, and then you see the metal bars of the shopping cart in front of the item that fell in the cart.

Everything's working fine except one layer. The pizza, soda and chips all show behind the cart layer.
But the ice cream shows in front of the cart, even though it's clearly below the cart layer.

Any ideas for this weird snafu??

I do have the layers in 3d so I can use a camera above all the layers, in case that makes a difference.

Running AE CC on a macbook Pro Retina.

Thanks again,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Weird Layer behavior
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 6:11:05 pm

Is there an overwhelming reason to use 3D layers and a camera other than to see how it works? If "to see how it works" isn't even the reason, I'd stick to 2D.

Otherwise, check the z values of the layers that aren't behaving properly; they should have a greater z-value than the cart.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel SchultzRe: Weird Layer behavior
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 12:36:00 am

Hi Dave,

I do need the camera (as far as I can tell) in order to dolly in and out of the foreground and background, as well as pan over to different elements and areas of the illustrator image to tell the story.

Tried adjusting the z value of the ice cream higher and lower than the cart. It zooms in an out but doesn't go behind the cart. If I have to I can do a workaround, but I still can't figure out why all the other items go behind the cart properly. Z value on all of the items is 0.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Weird Layer behavior
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 3:05:10 am

Do you have any non 3D layers between your groceries and the cart, that will mess up the render order.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Weird Layer behavior
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 5:13:11 pm

i agree with john, it's probably a 2d layer. if you are having trouble figuring it out, upload a screen shot of your timeline with the misbehaving layer highlighted, and we should be able to point out what to change.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved