ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding animation on top of a moving video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris HamAdding animation on top of a moving video
by on Apr 28, 2014 at 3:54:39 am

Hello all,

I am very new to After Effects and am finding it difficult to google my way through this question as I don't really know the terminology. Please bear with me.

I am trying to add a very simple animation of a group of fish illustrations on top of a video clip of a fish tank. Easy enough, except I have one shot panning across the room to the fish tank that I need to include the animation in. Is there a faster way (tracking motion, etc?) to keep the fish moving inside the tank without keyframing each fish on each frame, back to it's original position? I attempted to track motion but half of the tank is out of the shot in the the beginning, so I don't think my track motion points are effective.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Adding animation on top of a moving video
by on Apr 28, 2014 at 11:44:02 am

Todd provided great starting links, for learning AE, I highly recommend you check them out.

To track motion like you are describing, you would do it in multiple passes, tracking objects that can be tracked, and then when they go out of frame, apply that track and keyframes to a null, start a new track on a different object, when that's tracked, apply the data to the same null. When you have the entire shot tracked, you would parent the fish to the null.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Adding animation on top of a moving video
by on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:38:35 am

Start here to learn After Effects:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved