ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

x-axis settings seem strange

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Leex-axis settings seem strange
by on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:31:00 pm

Using comp in CS6. I have a list of seven lines of text with 3D. Initially I want to set x-axis to 90 degrees for all seven text lines at beginning of timeline so they disappear initially. Then every 2-seconds I set each text line's key on x-axis to 0 so it arises slowly into view one at a time.

But set at 90-degrees, most lines display with a slight sliver of text appearing, so I had to initialize various text lines at 92, another at 88, another at 85 degrees, etc. to get them to disappear completely. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I thought 90 degrees on x-axis makes the text disappear. Why different variations around 90 instead of exactly 90?

CS6 suite | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | ASUS Z9PE-D8/WS mobo | 2x Xeon E5-2687W | 128GB RAM Quad DDR3 1600MHz | nVidia GTX-Titan

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: x-axis settings seem strange
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 12:52:06 am

When you create a layer in 3D, you need a 3D camera to look at it. When you do this though, unless the camera is looking straight at the object, you will see portions of the object. Couple of things you can do, you could put your text in a precomp, dead center and rotate from there. Another trick, is to create a camera and put it at -1,000,000 and then zoom in 1,000,000. At that far of a distance, it's nearly straight on, you will lose some of the 3Dishness of text though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: x-axis settings seem strange
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 7:51:47 pm

Good news! You can forget about those annoying lines with a little adjustment of the text layer in points. Set the in point where the animation begins, and you'll never notice anything wrong.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved