ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Illustrator Paths Keep importing as a Mask?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent TaylorIllustrator Paths Keep importing as a Mask?
by on Apr 13, 2014 at 1:10:34 am

Hey guys...

I've watched several tutorials and feel like I am following them closely, but for the life of me I can't import a path from Illustrator into After Effects without it coming in as a Mask. Any help?

Here's my steps...

1) Copy path from Illustrator
2) Select a Shape layer with something on it, then select the Path.
3) Hit Paste
4) It always comes in as a mask. :(

I KNOW it's possible. I did manage to do it once after tearing out my hair for about an hour... but now I just can't get it to happen. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Illustrator Paths Keep importing as a Mask?
by on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:38:29 pm

How do you want the path to import?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Illustrator Paths Keep importing as a Mask?
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:32:59 pm

You need to be on the very lowest level of the shape layer's path options (the part where you keyframe the path shape). It can't be one of the parametric shape layers either. And you have to have that path parameter selected.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brent TaylorRe: Illustrator Paths Keep importing as a Mask?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 6:04:28 am

Still does it.

I did figure out two things, though...

If I click specifically on the PATH of the object in AI (not on the layer) and copy, THEN it will import as a path... but ALSO as a mask. So then I have to delete the mask. It's a start, I guess... but all I wanted was to import that path in the first place...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Illustrator Paths Keep importing as a Mask?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 2:09:24 pm

In a comp, go to Layer > New > Shape Layer. Twirl the new shape open and add a "Path", twirl open the "Path 1", and click on the word "Path" so it's highlighted, now paste your path from illustrator.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]