ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

sketching on

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Samuelssketching on
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 9:27:21 pm

I want to do a sketch on look for my video and I have that bit sorted but I want to shoot someone using a pencil on a page so it looks like they drew it before it comes to life. Can someone please offer some guidance for this or point me in the right direction. Im not sure how the person being filmed would know exactly where to draw to make it look real.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: sketching on
by on Apr 10, 2014 at 2:13:42 pm

Let me make sure I understand you correctly, you want to see a hand come on, draw a few elements, and then those elements animate, right?

If so, there are a number of ways to do it.
One would be to get a solid surface the same color as the intended background of your comp. Draw very lightly with pencil on the surface to match the initial start point for the animation (this could be done by using a projector and tracing the outlines). Then the actor would simply follow those drawn lines.
You would then rotoscope the drawing hand and voila! The reason I didn't suggest using a green surface and keying it, is because there would be a lot of green spill on the actor's arm. However, if you've got a good lighting setup, you could try this too.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mark SamuelsRe: sketching on
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:35:07 am

Not sure what you mean by using a projector? you mean project the image and then trace it? But it would show in my video.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: sketching on
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:44:37 pm

If it's light tracing, it won't be picked up on camera at all. If you're really concerned, do it on a green surface and trace it in a similar green shade and key it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]