ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking layer object offsets

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe ParsonsMotion Tracking layer object offsets
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 3:33:53 pm

I am getting up to speed with AE CS4. Up to this point, I have used only Premiere Pro.

I am working through Adobe's tutorials (Classroom in a Book) and have had a problem with Motion Tracking. The exercise involves motion tracking the arm of a ticking metronome, superimposing a star in a shape layer.

I have been able to do the motion tracking okay, and the shape layer is tied to that data. Once the tracking is complete and applied, however, the shape object is offset by about 200 px from where I had positioned it.

Any suggestions?

Joe Parsons

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion Tracking layer object offsets
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 4:23:37 pm

The shape layer has its layer transforms, but any objects on the layer have their own set of transformation properties as well. The reason for this is very good and will become apparent as you get more familiar with shape layers, but for now you have two possible solutions.
Solution 1:
Apply your tracking data to a null and parent your shape to the null.
This is a good workflow anyway. I rarely apply tracking data directly to a layer. One never knows when the ability to offset or tweak will be needed.
Solution 2: Go into the shape layer twirl-downs and adjust the actual shape path's transform properties

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Phil LeBeauRe: Motion Tracking layer object offsets
by on Apr 10, 2014 at 2:28:30 pm

Are you using the 3d Camera tracker? Have you looked under Advanced and checked out the Average Error Message? A good track is 1.0 pixel or below.

Phil LeBeau

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved