ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

PP and AE workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Parsons
PP and AE workflow
on Apr 9, 2014 at 3:28:05 pm

I've been using Premiere Pro CS4 for three or four years. As I start to tackle more ambitious projects, I can see the value of the additional features in After Effects.

My typical project is a short sales or training video, shot against a green screen. I record audio separately and sync it in PP.

What is the most efficient way to take advantage of the AE feature set? Should I do my basic editing in PP, then do the rest of the editing (keying, titles, etc.) in AE? Or is it better to render in PP and create a fresh project in AE?

Thanks,
Joe Parsons

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: PP and AE workflow
on Apr 9, 2014 at 4:14:13 pm

It sounds like the best thing to do would be to import your Premiere project into AE. That way your edit is maintained, but you have access to all of the original footage and cuts.

Then you can do your titles and compositing in After Effects, render a lossless (or near enough) intermediate and then render it out to your final deliverable in the Adobe Media Encoder. Alternatively, you can just send your AE composition directly to the Adobe Media Encoder.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:37:16 pm

[Michael]
It sounds like the best thing to do would be to import your Premiere project into AE. That way your edit is maintained, but you have access to all of the original footage and cuts.

That is what I do. Premiere is much better for editing your project and trying out different takes and adjusting the overall pacing of the video. For example, I cut this spot in premiere and then imported (dynamic link) the edited footage into AE and then did my rotoscoping, graphics, etc. to make the completed spot:

Watching the side by side of the spot will give you an idea what I'm talking about. Everything on the left side was put together in Premiere. Everything on the right side was then sent to AE and DaVinci Resolve to create the completed look.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Joe Parsons
on Apr 15, 2014 at 11:22:27 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for this! It's just what I needed!

Joe Parsons

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:06:45 pm

Happy to help. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved