ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Simple Track Matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex KingSimple Track Matte
by on Apr 5, 2014 at 12:41:14 pm

Hi there. I am just confused by this rather simple set up. I have a scene consisting of 3 layers that was brought over from C4D. Lets just say the scene consist of the letters A and B , plus the background ( total of 3 items ). In AE, I have the alpha cut out of letter A in one layer and the cutout of letter B in a separate layer. Fine. The image has the background and both letters A and B. How the heck do I stack them properly and choose the right modes for all of them? I have tried and failed, seems like I am missing something rather simple. I would like to adjust the effects of each letter separately, minus the background, which I can apply another effect separately also. Grrr.

Thank you for your help. Alex

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Simple Track Matte
by on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:06:38 pm

Drop the combined layer into AE to create your new comp, this layer will be your bottom layer of the stack. Duplicate the layer, drag "layer" into comp above the duplicated layer. Change the duplicated layer's track mode to "luma matte". Do this for every layer you want to isolate.

I would suggest you get the Cinema4D import plugin for AE. In C4D Render Settings, Save Options, under the Composting Project File, you can save a .aec file that can import your cameras, lights, rendered layers into AE for post composting. NEW EXCHANGE PLUG-IN FOR CINEMA 4D AND ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS has training on AE/C4D intergation using that's a link to a google search about using the two together: after effects cinema 4d tutorial .aec

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Alex KingRe: Simple Track Matte
by on Apr 5, 2014 at 7:50:31 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved