ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Dynamic Rotation Point without moving image?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent TaylorDynamic Rotation Point without moving image?
by on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:34:27 pm

Hey guys. I'm having trouble with a project. Getting confused.

I want to be able to rotate an object from different points at different times. Like say first it rotates around the lower left corner, the the lower right corner. Ideally I could do even more points. How can I do this?

I can't move the anchor point without moving the square itself. Yes, you can use the Pan Behind tool, but only for the first keyframe. After that, the whole square moves if I alter it.

I've tried parenting the square to null objects. But this way they don't all move together. For example, I tried this arrangement:

Square > Lower Left Null > Lower Right Null

But then when I move the Lower Left to rotate, the Lower Right doesn't come with it. I would like the rotation points to remain pinned to the proper places on the square.

Is there any way to achieve what I'm hoping to do?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Dynamic Rotation Point without moving image?
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:28:22 pm

Put four nulls at the four points of rotation. Parent the layer to the first null, then rotate the null. Split the layer, parent it to the second null, and rotate that null. And so forth.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd PerchertRe: Dynamic Rotation Point without moving image?
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 10:52:14 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly... you could use a series of Pre-Comps. Each precomp's anchor point would be a corner. Then rotate the precomps. Rotate em all at the same time and get something crazy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved