ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

block and erase a shape using another shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Trimbleblock and erase a shape using another shape
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:33:12 pm

This seems like it should be a simple question but I've looked for an answer for several hours before posting and couldn't find anything. I want to create an effect where a shape (letters that I drew in Illustrator, then imported into after effects and traced) appears from the middle of the screen and expands out, then returns to a smaller size. As it expands, I want it to erase/cover several shapes behind it. (This is all just simple shape layers or .png images, no actual filmed footage or anything) I'm not sure if I should use a null object or maybe one of the included effects for this, or some other way?

I would appreciate any advice on this, thank you!

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: block and erase a shape using another shape
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 11:50:34 pm

Hi Alex

------- maybe am not understanding the problem but this is probably fairly straightforward ....

...... Firstly have the animated letter on a separate layer THEN EITHER:

( 1 )---- if the animated letter is physically large enough to entIrely cover the other letter( s ) just make sure its on the top layer ( make disappearing letters transparent when covered if you dont want to see them again )

( 2 ) ----- if the letter isnt big enough and you want to use it as a 'wipe' then set copies of this animating letter as a trackmatte for each of the layer( s ? ) you want to loose - using animated masks to mop up any remaining odds and ends --

You can open illustrator vectors in Ae as shapes ( also you can copy and paste Illustrator vectors as paths which can be useful for animations ) .

Hope this helps -

- all the best ---- chris --

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved