ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jimmy Fallon and the "Lip Flip"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake AndersenJimmy Fallon and the "Lip Flip"
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:03:46 pm

So I, like many others, saw Jimmy Fallon do the "Lip Flip" thing on the new tonight show. I am wondering how they did it, in real-time. Its easy enough to do in post-production, but does anyone know how they did it "live"?

I've done a little digging on Syncro-Vox techniques, but this seems more complicated, since the background is moving. And since the actors can see it on a monitor, I have no idea how its done. Any help would be awesome.

Here's the source:

I've got the standards (FCP, AE) on my MacPro.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Jimmy Fallon and the "Lip Flip"
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 7:25:20 pm

Jimmy and Tina don't move much, the cameras focus on them, you run it through a switcher, there's a pre-made matte, the two layers are composited together and it's fed out, that's the basics. I forget some of the terms since it's been over 16 years since I used a switcher.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jake AndersenRe: Jimmy Fallon and the "Lip Flip"
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:40:17 pm

So a production switcher is all it takes, basically? Any idea of how the compositing works? What software does that? And is there any way to achieve the effect without some pricey production gear and program?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 All Rights Reserved