ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trying to create a simple spring by a path... is it doable in 3D? (AE CS5)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ori KuperTrying to create a simple spring by a path... is it doable in 3D? (AE CS5)
by on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:29:50 pm

I'm on CS5, and trying to create a hand drawn (path) spring, or any other 'line between 2 points', on which I want to send a light/vegas effect from one end to the other end, but around other objects (means I want it to be a 3D object).

The only way I found to make the 2 spring ends MOVEABLE was by: applying a vegas effect to the path, which was the only thing that allowed me to > add puppet pins, one on each end.
I then created 2 nulls, and position each on of them near one of the pins, and linked the position of the pin to the null position.
Now when I move the nulls around they do move and change my spring look/stretch, but it seems like the pins don't have a Z position property :( so I can't really make the springs in a 3D environment...

Any ideas? Did I even use the right method for that? At first I thought that the very impressive DuDuf script could help me with that via using IK somehow, but realized that I didn't need it for this case (?), yet didn't find a way to make it a real 3D object...

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks and happy St. Patrick!
Ori Kuper.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved