ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing the stroke type

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marko GogićChanging the stroke type
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:28:32 pm

Hello guys,

I've been reading you for a while, but I'm newly registered so I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask a question.

It's pretty basic actually, but I didn't figured out how to do it.

If I want to create a line drawing effect. Like somebody is drawing a line. I'm doing this by creating a path and adding stroke on it. Then keyframing the end to create a desired animation.

What I want to know is if it's possible to change the type of stroke?

For example, in Illustrator I can change the stroke type from uniform to different types. What I want to do is simulate the brush pressure. When the line starts, the stroke should be thin, and as drawing goes on, the line should be thicker. In the end, the line should be thin again.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Changing the stroke type
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:10:21 pm

This can be done using the effect > generate > write on. You want to change the "Brush Time Properties" to "Size". Then keyframe the brush size as you move animate the drawing of the line.

Quick example, using my bad hand-writing:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Marko GogićRe: Changing the stroke type
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:13:23 pm

Return to posts index

Tess TerribleRe: Changing the stroke type
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:45:49 pm

Are you able to do this with multiple masks? I am using an Illustrator File, copied and pasted the layer into masks. I already have a stroke effect outlining it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved