ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shift key not working to constrain aspect ratios when resizing..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
Shift key not working to constrain aspect ratios when resizing..
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:21:01 am

That's it. The whole problem. Any ideas?

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Shift key not working to constrain aspect ratios when resizing..
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:44:17 am

What are you trying to change, and by chance did you unlock the constrain scale parameter?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 5, 2014 at 5:08:55 am

Trying to scale objects/images...and where is the constrain parameter? i realize there is one for each object, but is there a global one that will allow the shift key to work?

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 5, 2014 at 12:47:36 pm

If you hit "S" to reveal the scale properties, there will be a chain linking the two properties(constraining them). I just tested it though, you can have them unlinked and still use the shift key to scale proportionally.

This is how I "shift" scale. Create a new comp & new solid "cntl+y" and click on the solid. You should see 9 handles placed around the edge of the solid. Grab one of the handles by left clicking it and start dragging, now press the shift key.

See if that works for you.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:02:17 pm

Ah, yes...the key was that you click the object first, THEN click the shift key. I was used to doing it the other way around. Interesting though: if you have changed the proportions from the original, and you LIKE the new proportions but you simply want to then alter the scale (keeping the same NEW proportions), clicking the shift key will jump it back to its original proportions. A little frustrating, but not a huge deal. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to show me this. It will help a lot.

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:19:30 pm

As to your new proportions thing. Couple of ways to work with that, one you could work with the scale numerically. Even if you unlocked the scale, and have an x=20% and y=50%, you can re-lock the scale, click and drag one of the scale numbers and the object will scale proportionally.

Another way would be to make a null object and parent(shift + F4 to reveal parent properties) what you want to scale to the null, then just grab the null handles and scale from there. One gotcha with that method is you will be scaling around the anchor point of the null, not the object--can cause some issues with position and such.

And happy learning with AE---lot of great people here at The Cow that will be willing to help you out if you get stuck.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]