How to do 'popping up text in a bubble'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Brim
How to do 'popping up text in a bubble'
on Feb 22, 2014 at 12:14:51 pm

Hi,
2nd question for today ...
I would like to have text pop-up (with a small overshoot) on my 'timeline video' (the text will have the year, i.e. '1987' on it).

The best example I could find online was this (Fanta logo):

I guess I'm trying to do a 'text-pop-out-with-overshoot-encapsulated-in-a-thick-border-or-circle' kind of effect...

Anyone can offer any pointers?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How to do 'popping up text in a bubble'
on Feb 23, 2014 at 8:16:03 pm

The most straight forward way would be to manually key frame the overshoot... In the scale property set a keyframe value of zero', move down about ten frames and set one for 110% or so, then move down a few more frames and set a value of 100%. You can also set the last two key frames to easy-ease (animation>key frame assistant>easy-ease).

another way is to use expressions to do the overshoot... First you'd key frame the scale from 0% to 100% (or whatever values you need) over several frames. Then enable expressions for scale (select property, then choose animation>add expression...) and then add the expression. You'll find a good one here:

http://motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html#kf-overshoot

If that seems too daunting, there is a useful script called 'ease and wizz' you can use that makes the expression work more like a plugin, it also does a variety of useful physics-like interpolations. You can find info on that here:

http://ianhaigh.com/easeandwizz/

As for the text on a bubble/circle the most straight forward way is to make a new shape layer using the shape tool that you need (ie, circle, rectangle, rounded rectangle, etc), then parent that to your text layer so it 'sticks' to it and takes on the text layer's animations. Note, to create a shape layer, make sure no layers are selected when you start making the shape, otherwise you will make a mask on the selected layer.

There are several options for shape layers including fill color and stroke that you can set as needed.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jim Brim
on Feb 24, 2014 at 2:59:46 pm

Thanks for the very informative answer, Kevin!

I think the 'scale-overshoot' makes a lot of sense.
I will use that.
Regarding the 'text on shape' - I would actually want the text be engulfed by a surrounding shape (kind of like a thick outline).

Something that looks like this a bit:

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:22:40 pm

to create the basic outline is pretty simple, just add a stroke layer style to the text (layer>layer styles>stroke).

you'll find a a new layer property called layer styles for your layer. within that are the properties for stroke (color, size, etc).

to get the emboss effect on that you may be able to get close by adding the bevel and emboss layer style, setting the style to outer or stroke emboss and fiddling with the size and altitude values.

if you wanted it to be more like your example, it would get more complicated... involving having the text from the outline layer and probably having to pre-compose those elements.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Shayan Nasir
on May 20, 2016 at 7:11:24 am

"another way is to use expressions to do the overshoot... First you'd key frame the scale from 0% to 100% (or whatever values you need) over several frames. Then enable expressions for scale (select property, then choose animation>add expression...) and then add the expression. You'll find a good one here:

http://motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html#kf-overshoot"

I used it and it quite nice but how can we pop it down with the same frequency. thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]