ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Does anyone know how to accomplish this effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego MartinDoes anyone know how to accomplish this effect?
by on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:45:33 am

Hey Everyone! I was wondering if anyone could tell me how this effect (spinning mechanical instruments on wall) is accomplished or point me in the correct direction of a tutorial that covers this effect? I've searched and searched and came up with nothing. Are these some type of overlays?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Does anyone know how to accomplish this effect?
by on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:15:00 pm

Without getting into the creation of the spinning gears(drawing,illustrator, vector objects). IMO, in this video what they did was used masks and a tranfer mode to place those drawings on the wall. I only watched a few places but notice how the the animations only appear in the locked down shot, that's cause it's easier to mask a locked down shot. The only thing that is moving is the talent. Also at times you can see the animation, lightly move across his face at times in the video, either he wasn't masked, or was masked very softly.

So here's how I would do this, using this video as an example. Take your video layer and duplicate it. Now lock the bottom layer. Second start masking out the clocks, window and couch. Me, I would also do a loose mask our my talent, not too fancy and set a 20 frame feather, and some keyframes to follow him. Bring in the "Gear video" you want to play on the wall and place it below the masked layer. Now the animation will play behind those objects. Just select a transfer mode to your liking.

Here's a very simple example project illustrating the technique.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved