ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I get a grid with no vertical lines?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher TravisHow can I get a grid with no vertical lines?
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:16:18 am

Ok, so I guess that wouldn't be a grid, but I don't know what else to call it.

I've applied the grid generator to an adjustment layer at the top of this comp with and an "overlay" blend mode. I like how the horizontal lines (visible in the drop shadow) suggest TV scan lines, but even with the vertical lines sets to the widest setting, they interrupt the look every now and again (for example running down the middle of the capital "E"). Can someone recommend another way of doing this that won't produce vertical lines?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Declan SmithRe: How can I get a grid with no vertical lines?
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:37:11 am

Without seeing your exact settings it's difficult to know exactly, however, the default behaviour is that the width adjustment will grow from the middle. What you need to do is use the Anchor setting to offset this and crank the width up enough so that the vertical lines are off screen. Below is a screen shot on a 1920x1080 comp. If you set the anchor width to 1920 and the Width slider to 1920 you will get vertical lines at the left and right hand side of frame. Expand this a few more pixels in both and you will lose these lines, i.e. set the anchor to 1930, 540 and width to 1940.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Christopher TravisRe: How can I get a grid with no vertical lines?
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:40:41 am

Thanks very much Declan.

I can't try this right now but it sounds like it's going to do the trick. I'll come back and let you know though.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How can I get a grid with no vertical lines?
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:36:47 pm

If for some reason the shape layers don't work out, you could always create a shape layer that's a line, and just add a repeater to it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: How can I get a grid with no vertical lines?
by on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:44:34 am

You can also get horizontal lines with the Venetian Blinds transition.

Return to posts index

Jose AcevedoRe: How can I get a grid with no vertical lines?
by on Feb 20, 2014 at 11:22:42 pm

Venetian Blinds transition is a good alternative

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04:26 am

Thanks Declan,

This worked a treat.

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: How can I get a grid with no vertical lines?
by on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:21:21 am

hehe, or if you want to be really complicated you could use a line as a shape layer and then use a repeater to fill the screen. The benefit of that is that you could change your line for other shapes, to create a matte.

Anyway, grid with wide width and venetian blinds as they have stated before does the trick!

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:24:58 am

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

As ever, there are numerous ways to achieve ones goal in After Effects and it's always interesting to hear different approaches even if I've found one that works already as hearing about other techniques can often lead to a breakthrough or inspiration in other areas or projects. So thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]