ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Web Banner - 576x48 Text and graphics are badly posterised??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander CockburnWeb Banner - 576x48 Text and graphics are badly posterised??
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:46:46 pm

Please help!
Some very basic questions here but I am completely lost and I thought I was on top of a project!
In short I am making a web banner for a sports stadium to be used for animated ads around the stadium. The size is 576 pixels x 48 pixels.
When I create a comp and try to write from the text tool the text is very badly rasterised...the option for continually rasterise isn't available.
Also I have an eps file that is described as Vector Art by AE however when added to the comp it is blurry...yes I have checked continually rasterise and yes I am at full resolution for viewing...
I am compleetly stumped when I got client approval I created a project at 4000x400 and everything looked great...then I got the actual size required and nothing works!!! I am really freaking out as I cant find anything anywhere to explain why the text is so bad..I think that maybe the logo is not a vector but then why doe AE say vector art??
Any help gratefully received!!
Bests

Alex

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Web Banner - 576x48 Text and graphics are badly posterised??
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:15:53 pm

Are you viewing your comp at 100%/Full Resolution?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Alexander CockburnRe: Web Banner - 576x48 Text and graphics are badly posterised??
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:38:19 pm

Hi Johnny - yes I am as I mention in the post.

I should add the comp is 15 fps, although I am not sure how that would effect static text and images at this stage...

I have also exported the animation to see if it is just a preview thing but its still badly posterised...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:50:33 pm

take a screen grab and post here. Also if you want, you could upload the project+assets(last button above-must be a zipped file) and I'll take a look and see if there is something strange.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Alexander CockburnRe: Web Banner - 576x48 Text and graphics are badly posterised??
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:14:04 am

Hi Jerry - thanks screen grabs attached. If you create a 576x48 project is your text smooth? I sent the ai and eps files (not shown) to a graphic designer who confirmed they were vectors but also confirmed that scaled down to 48 pixels they were blocky?? The Dell logo has been saved at 48 px square for the comp shown below..

As you can see 100% zoom looks okay but this is a banner that will go on a 10m video screen!!!

screenshot2014-01-30at09.06.54.png

At just 200% you can see it's blocky.

screenshot2014-01-30at09.06.23.png

As per my previous post I have exported to check its not a preview issue and the exports are NOT smooth and are blocky just like the screen grabs.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Web Banner - 576x48 Text and graphics are badly posterised??
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:50:40 am

Just to make things clear, there are two different main comp window viewing settings: the size, which is displayed in percentages, and the resolution, which is displayed in words -- full, half, third, etc.

You're looking at it bothe at 100% size and full resolution?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:17:15 am

Hi Dave,

Yes thanks I am aware and also exported to check it wasn't a preview issue as per previous posts the text and assets are all posterised on export as per the screen grabs..(see previous post)

Is this just because 48 pixels high is a low resolution??

My graphic designer said the client had made a mistake as the vectors scaled down to these dimensions are blocky and this eventually needs to be upscaled to a 10m video screen.

As I said my original comp at 4000x400 and subsequently 5760x480 (10x larger) is perfect?

Alex

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:53:13 pm

Scaling up your comp size is why it's aliasing. If you left your comp at 100% and scaled up the text to 400% it would be normal. When working at 48 pixels high, you don't have much information, so if you are exporting and then scaling up the resulting animation, yes it will look like crap.

I would see about contacting the client and making sure to double-check the dimensions, but they might be fine-I don't know what playback they are using for those banners.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2014 at 6:50:22 pm

Hi John,

Yes but it's almost impossible to work without scaling up and it's not easy with aliased text and graphics...even at 100% the logos are badly aliased though as well which doesn't make sense if it's going to be pushed out on a 10m video screen... which I imagine would simply 'scale up' the aliased graphics and text very much like the zoom?

I have asked them to check with the client that the dimensions are correct..

Thanks for your attention

Alex

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Web Banner - 576x48 Text and graphics are badly posterised??
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:27:16 pm

Well, the comp IS 48 pixels high, according to the information supplied. That's not much resolution. You only have 48 pixels top to bottom. You won't get a lot of detail.

And if the display device really is 10 meters wide (I hope you mean width and not height), it's STILL going to be 576 pixels wide.

They will be very big pixels indeed. I'd keep things as simple as possible visually. Remember dot-matrix printers? Think about resolution like that. You can't think in terms of high resolution when you have virtually NO resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:39:59 am

Thanks David this is what I suspected all along however as I am not completely familiar with AE I was doubting my own conclusions especially as the client is a blue chip (Dell) and their logo and other assets look terrible at such low resolution - it didn't make sense and yes 10m wide...!
Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]